White Oak is very strong and heavy. The heartwood is light to dark brown while the sapwood is white. Northern White Oak is very uniform in color, has a fine texture, and contains minimal sapwood.
White Oak is found, timber bridges, barrels, kegs and casks, flooring, caskets, doors, and paneling.
At Devereaux Sawmill:
- White oak is cut to 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, and 8/4 thicknesses.
- White Oak is sold in 3Com & better grades as well as a Rustic grade.
- White Oak can be width sorted.
- Color sorts to limit sapwood content are graded.
- Rustic sort is pulled from 2/3ACom which allows only sound cuttings.
- Rift/Quartered – 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 8/4 – is cut at our mill as well as plain sawn.